-
August 16th, 2003, 10:55 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hey,
I was just wondering how people first got introduced to manga/and or anime. I don't know, like, what was your first anime/manga, how old were you, who may have introduced you etc. I don't even know why I am asking this question, but I like asking questions sometimes, so I thought I would ask that.
Oh and also, which do you prefer, anime or manga and why?
-
August 16th, 2003, 11:39 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Well, my fondness of manga and anime have rooted inside me since my childhood days (umm....not sure how old I was back then).
The first few anime series that I watched were Rose of Versailles, Doraemon,Saint Seiya, and Sailor Moon LOL, while the first OVA I've ever watched was Tokyo Babylon.
About who introduced it to me, I have no idea, I just watched any animes that were screened on the TV every Sunday mornings.
I prefer manga because it's more original (directly drawn and written by the author), while those mangas that turn into animes, sometimes the anime producers change the storylines, character appearances etc to suit younger audiences or international audiences.
Is that a good enough answer for you, Dear Heartberry? [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
August 16th, 2003, 01:27 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Hmm. I suppose I'm pretty typical.
I've been reading manga for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I likes sentai stories and horror. My dad used to buy me shounen mags and british comic, 'the dandy' but I was never interested. ^.^;;; Somewhere along the line I discovered the joys of homoeroticism ^___^ and boyslove stories. And slash fiction. But I used to freak out over yaoi. I only wanted to see fluffy romantic stuff (Was I ever that young and innocent?!?). Since I was about 16 I've got over my naked men phobia and sunk into the depths of hentai yaoifangirl territrory. ^^
As for anime, I watched a lot of western cartoons and anime, but I kinda lost interest by my mid teens. I'm partially deaf these days, so I suppose I'd rather read a story on paper than watch it. Plus, manga is prettier than most anime. I did really enjoy ghost in the shell and FLCL though ( they made a wack manga about that, too). As Kashima says, anime tends to be a bit limited in it's target audience.
-
August 16th, 2003, 01:46 PM
#4
Inactive Member
The first anime I ever saw was Vampire Hunter D. It played on the Sci-Fi channel way, way back probably when I was about...9 or 10. ^^ And then I saw Sailor Moon when it used to play on the USA Network channel...that's a long time ago too XD
I like both equaly because while I love reading to death, sometimes I like watching moving pictures and hearing the characters voices ^^
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ August 16, 2003 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Carole Ann ]</font>
-
August 16th, 2003, 04:34 PM
#5
Inactive Member
hmmmm in my area anime and manga didnt even exist unless it was in video game form (like megaman. but then in fifth grade i went to Panama (where my mom is from) and sailor moon was on in spanish. i didnt understand it but i thought it was the coolest thing ever. and suddenly anime and manga were my life. i have like 5000 pics saved on my comp that i've collected since the day i returned from panama.
didnt discover scanlations though until last august....it was a total accidnet..i was looking for some pics on kamikaze kaitou jeanne and it brought me here...dont know how that search got me here but im glad it did.
-
August 17th, 2003, 07:01 AM
#6
Inactive Member
I started wioth star Blazers back when they showed it in Israel in 1980 (OH Goddess I am sooooo Oooooooold). but I didn't really know it was Anime I kinda had a vague recolection later on with Gachaman and Gigi and the fountain of youth that they were from Japan but thats about it.
then I kinda forgot all about it until few years ago when I saw Vempire Princess Miyu by accident (I was trying to record the Matrix and set the recorder to the wrong channel) after cursing for ten minute solid I realised I was actually enjoying this and at the end I was hooked.
so I watched anything I could get my hand on, joined an anime club, posted on some forums, went to meets and before I knew it I was a lost soul.
I now collect yaoi manga in a language I can barely understand cosplay in conventions as my favourite characters (often angel sanctuary - usually MadHatter/Belial) and am generally considered by all to be really odd and a freak.... ah... no wait... that happen before I started watching anime ><
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ August 17, 2003 04:56 AM: Message edited by: Lamasu ]</font>
-
August 17th, 2003, 07:27 AM
#7
Inactive Member
I watched the Sailor Moon dub until we lost the channel and then begged my parents for the manga, consequently got into CCS and all other animanga I like. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
And I think I prefer manga since a) it's more available to me and b) slightly cheaper. Althought anime has good music. Mostly.
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ August 17, 2003 04:28 AM: Message edited by: Alai ]</font>
-
August 17th, 2003, 10:36 AM
#8
Inactive Member
You want me to remember my early childhood? *sigh* I'm only 25 and I'm already senile - I'm doomed. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well, there was a brief mecha stage in the early 80s, but I "grew out" of cartoons not too long after that. Anime didn't get a chance to take over my awareness (though there were some fun seeds rooting in the back of my mind) because we didn't have cable TV until I was in high school. By then I was too busy being a nerd to watch a whole bunch of TV. Sad, innit? ~_^
Of course then I left home for college. Anime kept trying (and I tried to encourage), but time was still a bit of a problem. Still, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Escaflowne . . . whatever we could readily rent, which, it being Iowa, was sometimes tricky. Well, until the advent of DVD and the acquisition of a DVD player. ~_^
But after I left school, I lost cable again and aside from brief stints, haven't really had regular access to broadcast anime. Which could very well be why, when Liss-chan got hooked on Yami no Matsuei, I went looking for manga scans. Which lead me here. ^__^ Of course ever since my "baby sister" has been squeeing with glee and throwing all kinds of names at me. The two of us are going to be horrible on each other's wallets.
If I have a choice, I like to have both anime and manga, but if I have to pick one, I tend to go with manga. Easier to quick-reference something usually, although DVDs are changing that a little bit. I just have to be careful because I have this horrid tendancy of writing stories for anything to which I take a particular liking.
-
August 17th, 2003, 11:51 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Me...? Well, I think I got into anime after a certain someone I knew was crazy about Kenshin. I ended up persuading dad to get the series off eBay and now Saturday's are Kenshin days, when the whole family sits down and watches a few eps. XD
Manga, I first came across at the Aya no Wei? Kreuz Corner. I stumbled across scanlations following the Kenshin obsession, while searching for general fansites.
Anime vs. Manga? Manga. I dunno why. ^^p
-
August 17th, 2003, 01:10 PM
#10
Inactive Member
I thought I started when I was 6 with Sailor Moon but then my dad told me that my crazyness over anime started much earlier.
I think the first time I actually realised it was called anime was when I was 11. We had just gotten cable and for some reason, whenever I turned on the TV to AXN, they were showing Flame of Recca. I got hooked. I still am. I won't stop till I hit the grave. O_o
For manga, I wasn't actually reading any till last year. Here in Singapore, all the manga is mostly in Chinese. A language I can't read but can understand a little. Last year however, a company started printing some comics in English like X and Eva.
But I didn't really like manga that much till I stumbled upon yaoi. O_o Lol I must admit, I hated it at first, like er...3 years ago. Then things changed and I actually enjoyed reading it.
Finally, two years ago I started cosplaying. First Miaka Yuuki, then Fuuko Kirisawa and finally the Mad Hatter last year with my best friend as Kurai.
To choose between anime and manga now would be tough. Both are extremely good in their own ways. ^^
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks